Tuesday, January 5, 2021

SJLS #5 Serenity Word Tile Layout

Sassy January Layout Series #5 

Welcome to the 5th segment in a series of 31 that will be shared during the month of January.   Click here to find out more about the Sassy January Layout Series.



Earlier this week I shared that Close To My Heart had introduced a new stamp and Thin Cut set based on letter tiles.  Being one who loves the game of Scrabble with a passion, my mind has been on overflow with ideas.  This layout was created using Cricut Design Space, our Serenity paper collection, and the Letter Tiles stamp and Thin Cut set.

Our tiles measure about 3/4" x 3/4" so I needed to create a grid to work with around this size.  I found a general grid design in Design Space, resized it, and then sliced two rows from the grid.  Next, I created a border for the grid or "board" so that it would have a more finished look.  These were both cut with Sapphire cs - the grid with the light side, and the border with the dark side.  Both were then adhered to the patterned paper which shows through (this is one of the things that I love about this layout!).  

Because the tiles corners are rounded, they looked a little odd on top of the grid so before attaching the letters, I took the square cut out from the grid, placed it back within the square space and adhered it down.  Then I added the stamped tile on a Thin Foam Dot - the large one fits perfectly.

To create the tiles:
1.  First, stamp the wood grain onto the paper. 
2.  Using the die cut, cut out the tiles in various spaces of the stamped image so that each piece looks unique.
3.  Stamp the chosen letter into the pieces.
4.  Now the letter is ready to put into your creative play.

I found that the following combination looks the most authentic to the wooden tile:
Paper:  Almond cs - dark side
Ink:  Toffee for the wood grain & Black for the letters


When adding the words, I created my title which was "three hearts" on one page and then "one journey together" on the opposite page.  I made sure the words connected like in the game.  Next, I filled a few of the open spaces with paired description words that I wanted to use.  Now, if you want to be technical, all of my words should attach, but I was going for playful and for the feel of the game and not technical.


I added several short rows of 2 and 3 metallic Sapphire medium sequins from the Blue Belle Loose Sequins in some of the cross patterns on both pages.  These help fill the "white space" and create a flow through the layout.

I cut out the winter branches from the Serenity Cricut digital collection  and used those to accent the focal photo and then added the first letter of each of our names to cluster around the bottom of the branches.  I then painted the branches with the Clear Shimmer Brush to pull out the sparkle of the snow in my photos.


This is the stamp/stamp /Thin Cut set that I used.

My layout was designed around my photos and their sizes.  I purposefully used smaller photos on the right side so that I could incorporate the puzzle.  There is a flip flap on the 4" x 6" photo with another picture and journaling underneath the focal photo.  This, of course, could easily be altered with your photos and words.  I would recommend playing with the tiles and words before adhering the photos down so that you can re-arrange or re-space as needed.


I chose to make my focal picture black and white as it blended so well with the neutral tones in the Serenity paper and I wanted that "timeless" feel.



------------------------------------------------





Today's partnering special features the Serenity Paper pack (with Stickers) and a custom cs pack that coordinates with the purpose of this layout.  The cs includes 4 sheets of Blue Belle, 4 sheets of Sapphire and 4 sheets of Almond.  You can order the two as a bundle for $15.   That is a savings of over $5 plus the additional savings on the tax and shipping.    This special is available until 9:59am on 1-6-2021.

The layout kit includes custom, hand stamped, letters.  List your letter choices in the notes section, or e-mail me your selection at: inallsassiness@gmail.com.

This special, and layout kit,  are available in my shop at: https://www.inallsassinessdesigns.com/ as a part of the Sassy January Layout Series.  

No comments:

Post a Comment