Thursday, April 25, 2013

My new happies!



I know crazy right?  But yes, these are my new happies all laced up and ready to go!  I have been sick with a miserable head cold that began on Friday when we got caught out in the pouring down rain on a family walk and it built momentum as the weekend progressed.  By Sunday evening I was down and out.  Monday, I barely was able to get out of bed.  So, now I am feeling better, and was super happy that my long anticipated pink running shoes arrived earlier this week and that I could finally lace up my new happies and head to the green way this afternoon! 

So why would these shoes make me so happy??  Well for starters, they are pink!  And let me say, neon pink (that part I did not expect)!  Second, my well-loved running shoes that I recently pulled out of retirement have HOLES in them (which indeed i felt on that rain-walk that our family went on).  And three, yes, again they are pink!  Pink just makes me happy!  And not captured very well in the picture, but they also have little pink ribbons on the tongues.  Very appropriate. as you will see in the next paragraph, as my running steps are also in honor of my aunt who is very dear to me, who is now fighting breast cancer.

So why the shoes?  I decided several months ago to register for and run (walk/run) in a half marathon here in Virginia with Team in Training for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.  In preparation I will also be  participating in a few smaller runs  including a Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Richmond.   This will be my third half-marathon, and second with Team in Training, but this time not only am I making the commitment to help earn funds and awareness for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society but also for myself.  For my health and well being.  I have struggled with my weight since middle school and I am tired of the battle.   I want my children, but my daughter specifically, to see me and be proud of me.  I want to foster her self esteem and truly how can I do that if I don't have the confidence in myself.  So, I am running.  I am not running to win a trophy or for speed; but for myself, for my daughter; for all those with Leukemia and Lymphoma; for my aunt; and also for two dear friends, Barb and Janice, who have both won their own battles with cancer and who have supported me and been the most amazing support system that one could ever ask for.   

So that's the long and the short of it.  And along this journey I will have my pink happies!

No comments:

Post a Comment