Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Studio J Homework Complete!

I have done what felt like a marathon of Studio J the past 48 hours--trying to finish my Studio J "Homework" before the deadline.  Let me explain:  Close To My Heart's Convention is in just a few weeks and with our convention registration we were given a Studio J 5 pack to complete as "homework"for the event.  The physical layouts will be there in Dallas waiting for us so my guess (and my wish!) is that we will have some type of Studio J workshop while at Convention.  Regardless, our corporate set us the instructions, and the how-to's, for some awesome new techniques and I just couldn't wait to share these with my readers!  And for my local gals and guys, if you like what you see, I will be teaching these as classes throughout the summer--so heads up!  It will be a dynamite workshop for you!

If you haven't tried Studio J, you will LOVE it!  You have so much flexibility--so far beyond traditional scrapbooking!  To illustrate what I mean, I am posting my friend Barb Carrico's (with her permission of course) layouts directly below mine.  We both followed corporates lesson plans, but then tweaked to fit our individual styles and needs.

When viewing the layouts, if you would like to see a larger view, simply click the layout itself and it will open larger in a new window.

Layout One:
This is my layout.  I used pinks and greys and stitched pennants.

This is Barb's layout.  She used more neutral colors and was able to use the My Stickease pennants (the colors of the My Stickease can't be changed and they didn't work with my layout).  Barb also added a cute little ribbon/button embellishment in the bottom right corner of her layout.  She also has placed mats around her two larger pictures.

Layout Two:

This time, I used a different starting paper pack all together so our My Stickease are a little different. I used a different shape frame and added brads to the outsides of the frames where Barb's brads are on the insides of the frames. My stitching is up on the White space of the layout while hers is on the ribbon. She also used a really cool My Stickease to make a scalloped border. Her letters are "text" and mine are My Stickease with a shadow text box added behind to get the appearance they are matted. 

Layout Three

For these layouts, you can see that Barb rotated her left side differently than mine.  This worked great to feature a horizontal photo.  We used similar My Stickease--just tweaked a little.  And isn't Copper just absolutely adorable??  Gabe is pretty cute too!  For this layout we tried a new technique of making a layered/folded ribbon then added stitching to the ribbon. 

I have not created this layout yet in my challenge, which takes me to 81 completed and 69 still to go.

Layout Four

For layout four, Barb's differs from mine as she has Background and Texture (patterned paper) where mine are muter prints or cardstock.  We both used the awesome scallop technique which is actually a repeating My Stickease element.  I also love the stitched accents in the upper left and lower right corners of both of our layouts.

Layout Five

For the last layout, Barb made a super cute cupcake table from assorted My Stickease which was pretty amazing.  Cupcakes didn't really work with my layout so I opted to used starfish and sand dollar instead.  We both did the stitching on the small pictures and I choose to extend that to all of
photos---although I just noticed that my stitching is in the sand paper and not the Smoothie in the upper left picture.  I am also missing the first part of my title that was on the left page.  This would be the result of me trying to finish this layout last night after midnight when the deadline was 2am.  This however will be an easy fix and can simply be reprinted.  We both used the double color in the journaling which was my favorite learning point on this layout. 

Are you convinced to try out Studio J yet?  Have questions?  Send me an e-mail, I would love to teach you how!  And many thanks to my dear friend Barb for sharing her layouts with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment