Friday, May 1, 2009

I'm Officially in Training with Team in Training!



For Chicago's Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon on August 2nd! Team in Training is an awesome organization that raises funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society! I used to love to run, and dreamed of running in a marathon. I ran a half-marathon once before (in Ann Arbor, MI of all places!!) but then got too busy with my career, getting married, and starting a family, and I never reached my dream. So recently, I taught a scrapbooking workshop where we created our own Bucket Lists and running a marathon was near the top of my list. I had been toying with the idea to start running and conditioning again, even contacted Team In Training for information, but that was about as far as I got. The pamphlet is still on my desk. UNTIL, my girlfriend, and college roommate, Heather posted on Facebook that she and her husband were joining Team in Training to run in this race in honor of her mom, Karen Blackmon, who has beaten Lymphoma. Karen has always been like a second mom to me and played a significant role in my life. That was the push that I needed to say yes. So, I registered and here I am. Excited, exhilarated, and a little fearful at the same time. I am hoping to accomplish this for so many reasons--to fulfill a dream, to get back in shape, and most importantly to raise funds so that a cure can be found. If you'd like to follow my progress, visit my Fundraising page often. This is the first step, to training for my marathon.

2 comments:

  1. Tonya!!! I'm so proud of you - getting started is a HUGE step!! I'll be encouraging you all along the way - Run, Tonya, Run! HUGS! --Jen

    ReplyDelete