Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Convention Album Layout Contest - Layout Two

Layout two. "You Shine So Brightly"
Layout design is Final Act from Magic.

 This layout, I do believe, was the layout that I stressed the most about.  It was one of the first to develop into an idea, but my idea was 3-d and creating my layout in 3-d wasn't quite as easy as I originally had thought.  My inspiration came from my children.  They do shine so brightly!  And I wanted to create a layout that spoke that to them.  To preface the layout, I must share that we made these little lighthouses at Bible School and the kids were just so excited about them!  While they were making them they were deciding who each one was going to give them to.  And that is where my idea began.  My children love to make cards, presents etc and give them to their loved ones..so much that Mama Hill doesn't have room left for yet one more piece of artwork (although she always seems to find a place)!  So now, let me talk you through my layout.

Full Spread


Left Side:  When creating the left side, I had envisioned a Lighthouse standing tall in the layout with a beach down below.  So to create the beach, I used the sand side of the Footloose Paper Pack.  I tore the edges to create depth, then inked the edges with a combination of Bamboo and Desert Sand Exclusive inks.  I layered this paper with the top piece being up on 3-d foam pieces.  Next I wanted a symbolism of the water, so I added a piece of Pacifica Designer Ribbon across the bottom. I continued the ribbon across to the right page as well. I stamped the little crab with Cranberry Ink and cut him out.  I then attached him to the sand and drew his eyes with a Sharpie.  I thought he added a little comic to the layout.  To suggest the horizon, I added three lines of back stitching in White Daisy Embroidery Floss to the left of the Lighthouse. 


Creating the Lighthouse.  Remembering that one of the judging points was creative or unique uses for CTMH product--using the ribbon to create an object was definitely my creative use!  This was the biggest challenge of the layout.  I had a vision in my head, but it was hard to get my vision to work.  After several trials, I found a picture (thanks mom!) of a lighthouse, traced it onto vellum and then cut it out.  I then traced the vellum Lighthouse onto White Daisy cardstock and cut out the structure.  I free-handed the top of the lighthouse again with a Sharpie marker.  For the stripes of the Lighthouse, I used the Cranberry Grosgrain ribbon and wide White Daisy Grosgrain Ribbon that we were able to buy in bulk a few years ago.  I adhered each piece of ribbon piece by piece with Red-Lined tape which is a serious adhesive!  I wrapped the edges to the backside of the Lighthouse and then secured with additional tape and sealed with Scotch Tape.  I repeated this process until my stripes went all the way to the top of the Lighthouse.  Once complete, I free handed the base and drew on bricks then cut out the base and attached it to my ribbon Lighthouse.  I added a ton, literally, of 3-d tape to the back to offer additional support, then attached my Lighthouse to my layout.  Mission accomplished. 

Once the Lighthouse was complete, I added a photo that had a double mat of Black and Cranberry to the right of the layout and added the word "You" that would become part of the title.  Even though the letters were Color-ready, I left them white and choose to add bitty red sparkles from the Red and Pink Sparkle Collection to accent points on the letters.

To complete the embellishment to the left of the lighthouse, I used the backside of one of the Elemental Color Dimensional Element as an accent.  I used rub-on letters for the date and surrounded it with buttons from the Blue Button Collection.  This entire piece was adhered to the layout with glue dots.

When creating the right side of the layout, I added the Blue ribbon as previously stated to carry on the theme of the water.   I chose to add the Bible Verse that the entire experience was built upon with All Out Adventure Black rub-ons underneath this ribbon.  I used a Popsicle stick as my tool, but I am super excited that Close To My Heart is introducing their own Rub-on tool in Sept. I believe!  Next I added the cardstock and photo mats. Then to continue the ribbon element, I made one of the patterened paper pieces into all ribbon by just completely covering the cardstock with the ribbon, and again as in before, securing the ribbon to the back side.  I again used the Red-Line tape for added strength in securing to the paper.  For the white border, I used the backside of the Elemental Dimensional Elements and then repeated the elements used in the title on the left page for the right page as well.  The journaling is hand written on small strips of White Daisy cardstock.

The little flip book was created with the Mini-Banner Dimensional Elements and Cranberry Ribbon.  I sponged the pieces with Cranberry and Pacifica ink and daubers then attached the photographs.  On the front, I also added three buttons in complimenting colors for depth.  Although not shown in the photograph because of glare issues, this component was attached to the top of the page protector.


For those who want to recreate this layout, or elements of this layout, here is my supply list:

X5749 Color Ready Alphabets - retired
All Out Adventure Rub-ons - Black - retired
White Daisy Wide Grosgrain ribbon - retired
Sky, Black, White Daisy, Pacifica and Cranberry Cardstock
If you have questions along the way, feel free to e-mail me!

You can order these items through myself directly, or on my website at:  www.ctmh.com/tonyasheridan

1 comment:

  1. Super cute! Thanks for giving us pointers on the lighthouse. That would be cute for around here (Northern Michigan)...lots of lighthouses.

    ReplyDelete