Sunday, November 22, 2009

It's all about the Gingerbread...

Our Gingerbread story...
Left side of the layout.
Right side of the layout.
Embossed Title...
The embossing details of the houses.
There is something about Gingerbread that warms the senses and makes my heart smile! A fellow consultant discovered that using White Daisy Embossing powder on Brown Bag Cardstock and inking with Chocolate ink gives the appearance of Gingerbread! Pairing this "technique" with the November SOTM Around the Block and Sweet Treats created this fun Gingerbread Layout. I love how the Embossing Powder looks like ornamental icing once it has melted.

Supplies Used:
E1007 Homestead Alphabet (retiring December 2009)
D1377 Around the Block (November Stamp of the Month)
C1294 Sweet Treats (retiring December 2009)
Want to try paper-Gingerbread making yourself? Join me for an encore of this workshop on Sunday, December 6th. Cost: $16 or $14 for Club Members. You will also have the option of creating cards, and a little chipboard brag book with the same technique. Not a cardmaker? You can trade in your envelopes for additional paper.
The journaling reads: "My intentions were good. Actually my intentions were heartfelt, but the Gingerbread House on the other hand…like I said, my intentions were good! I have fond childhood memories of making Gingerbread Houses with all the candies and trimmings and I wanted to build those same memories with my children. I thought that they would enjoy building their Gingerbread House even more if we built it when their uncles and aunts were around to help so the plan was to build it when everyone was home for the holiday. But with time running short, I quickly realized I wouldn’t have time to bake the gingerbread itself, and in all honesty I was worried about the pieces being flat enough to fit together. SO, I THOUGHT I would purchase a Gingerbread House kit, and then let the boys choose their own candies at the candy store to decorate the house with…that way it would still feel like it was “homemade”. Needless to say, the setting was perfect…lots of little bowls filled with bright colored candies, the house pieces already to go and willing participants…but there was one factor I didn’t anticipate…the icing was not strong enough to hold the house together so try as we may, we could not make the house stand up! Most of the participants (aka the big boys and Gabey) quickly lost interest and decided to just eat the candies, but Nicholas, Mommy and Aunt Laura were determined and persevered! In good spirits we made numerous attempts to manipulate the icing and the pieces until at last we finally resolved to just decorate the pieces! They were beautiful house cookie pieces at that! So, my perfect Gingerbread House was never built, but what we did build was an evening of fun, laughter and memories. "

No comments:

Post a Comment