Saturday, March 15, 2014

How To Pack for a Weekend Scrapbooking Crop!


As many of you know, I am hosting a weekend crop this weekend at the beautiful Mimslyn Inn in Luray, VA. (for info on upcoming weekend crops, e-mail me at: inallsassiness@gmail.com). I have had several croppers ask me how to go about packing so I thought I would re-share a list I put together a few years ago in hopes that it might help others in their crop packing adventure!

First, and foremost, remember this is supposed to be a fun weekend! You don't want to stress out so much that you can't enjoy yourself! Secondly, each one of you will pack different as you have different agendas so what works for one, might not work for another. The best "starting" direction I can give you is to first decide what is your main goal? Are you working on a big project? Working chronically? Trying to finish up started projects? Or to use up some supplies that you have on hand? By answering these questions, you will be more successful in your packing strategy.

Working on a big project?
If so, then gather materials that support that project. Pack some extras to give yourself choices. So, for i.e. My family recently went to Sesame Place in PA. I have over 500 pictures that my mom and I took.

1. I would first look through and somewhat categorize how I wanted to scrapbook them. I would print the pictures I planned to use, and some that I may or may not use. Don't forget enlarged sizes--if there are several pictures that turned out exceptional, maybe print these as enlargements.

2. Next, choose papers that support the project. Are you keeping to a color theme in the album/project? Remember to choose both patterned paper and cardstocks. Pack different variations to give you options at the crop.

3. Don't forget inks, embellishments, fibers and die cutting items that might support your project.

4. Memorabilia or journals that you have regarding this event.

Working Chronologically?
If so, then how many pages are you hoping to accomplish? Remember to be realistic. I typically pack what I think I will accomplish/hope to accomplish and then two or three more. If you don't get through all of the projects...you have them ready for the next time you get back to them!

1. Look at your next series of pictures.

2. Select paper. Embellishments etc. just as above.

3. For this type of projects, it might be easiest to make page-kits. A page kit can be defined differently depending on the planner, but basically, it is a small assortment of papers and embellishments that will work with your individual pictures.

Trying to finish up started projects?
1. Look at your started projects. What do you need to do still? Journaling? Create a title? Embellish?

2. Label each project with a post-it note (they have all sizes depending on what works best for you!) what you still need to do with this layout as you pack.

3. Find what you need to complete the layout, or what you might need. For i.e. if you want to stamp a title, pack the stamp set and the ink with the layout so once you start cropping your are good to go and don't have to search through everything you have.

4. When planning, think realistic and about your habits. For i.e., I have several layouts that just need journaling. However, I know that I have a hard time writing journaling that is from my heart when I am with other people. I get distracted, and my journaling becomes rushed and not the same quality. Knowing this, I would be happier leaving this for another time when I can concentrate. Others, might be able to journal easily so what a great time to get some of it done.

Did you make a resolution to use some of what you have in your own personal inventory?
If so, then your planning might be a little different.

1. Go through your inventory and choose 10-15 different paper collections.

2. Add cardstock that supports the papers.

3. Look through pictures that would work well with the papers you chose.

4. Next, add embellishments, fibers, etc. to your sets.

5. Feel great about your accomplishments!


Packing List:
-Pictures! There are many a scrapbookers who have forgotten their pictures at crops!  If you are a digital diva or “dude”, don’t forget your digital pictures—thumb drives, sd cards etc.

-Adhesive- remember all types of adhesive that you regularly use!  Runners, tabs, Xyron refills (small, medium, and large), Pop-up dots/foam squares, Glue dots, Zip Dry Glue, others. My rule of thumb: think about how much you think you will use and then double it.

-Adhesive machines/runners; all of those refills don't help much if you have forgotten your Xyron machine!

-Comfort items: sweater/sweatshirt; chair cushion; slippers or warm socks; mp3-player with headphones; bottled drinks (with lids), wine & snacks; Tylenol; Motrin; chap stick; tissues; small blanket if you tend to get cold; for summer crops - fans; hand lotion; mints, gums;

-Craft light (don't forget a replacement bulb, extension cord etc.

-cup holder; if you have one of these, they are a great advantage!

-Die Cutting accessories- If you are planning on bringing a manual die cutting system, don't forget the plates, cutting boards etc. If you are planning on taking a Cricut/Slice/Pazzall, don't forget power cords, mats, tools, replacement blades and cartridges. I highly recommend labeling all "sharable" items. At our crop, and at most crops, the Cricut is available, but you might want to bring your own cartridges.

-Journaling items- pen? Laptop? At Sassy crops, there will be a printer available as well as a laptop but when I go as a participant, I take along my printer and leave it plugged in up in my hotel room that way, I have it when I need to use it, and it is not underfoot in my cropping space.

-Post it notes/flags for notes to self

-Camera for capturing memories of the event but also of fellow scrapper’s artwork for future inspiration! Most are honored if you photograph their artwork, but please ask first. Camera charger;

-Idea books, magazines etc., Title books, journaling books --in case you gain a case of scrappers block in the late hours of the night.

-Album refills to place finished layouts in.

-metal rack for table top (optional but seems to help many croppers); can be found at places like Target/Wal-mart

-basic took kit: scissors, trimmer (don't forget refill blades), bone folder, piercing tool and mat, tweezers, exacto knife, stylus, punches, cutting systems, baby powder, pens/markers, ruler, photo cloth, un-do, decorative scissors, eyelet setter & tools, water pen, sanding tools

-planning on stamping? don't forget the inks (if non-ctmh), cleaner, scrubber pad, blocks & of course of stamps, versa mark, embossing powders, scissors (fine tip, large, ribbon scissors (still LOVE my TIm Holtz scissors!); glitter; Baby wipes

-scrapping surface pad/cutting mat! Love mine! it helps me keep my area more workable! ; stamping mat

-materials/pictures for Crop Challenge if applicable although with Sassy Crops there is always a challenge!

-papers, cardstocks, embellishments, ribbons, fibers

-a Sharpie –there is always a need for a Sharpie!

-baby wipes

-and don't forget your personal non-scrapbooking basics--jammies, toiletries, tooth brush, swimsuit ( there might be a hot tub) toothbrush; layered clothes; I know of a gal who was excited in her packing for the crop that she made it to the crop with all of her scrapping supplies, but forgot to pack any clothes etc!
Note: Remember too, if you are scrapping with a friend, you might be able to pre-plan who takes what as far as sharable tools etc.

-cell phone cord, charger

-Crop owner’s and hotel’s phone number in case you get lost

-cash for misc., housekeeping tips, etc., massages

No comments:

Post a Comment