Sunday, June 24, 2012

"Frying pans...who knew? right?"


Who knew that they make great cakes!  In honor of Abby's 5th birthday, and her love for Rapunzel from Disney's Tangled, I made her birthday cakes in my grandmother's cast iron pans--a pan just like Rapunzel carried to defend herself in the movie.  In fact, when the cakes were sitting out on the counter cooling Abby asked Daddy where her cakes were.  When Daddy showed her the pans, she laughed and said no, "those are weapons"--guess maybe Mommy should be a little more domestic so that my daughter knows a cast pan was truly designed for cooking and not a weapon.  Regardless, when I was at a loss for a creative idea for a Rapunzel themed cake that would withstand the summer heat of an outdoor party, using the pans was what I came up with.  The little tower (made of ice cream cones) was such a cute addition, but I didn't count on the strong winds that we had knocking it down on the cake (hence the icing smear on the windows...lol). 

Abby's party originally was planned as a friends party but I guess with it being summer it didn't work with her little friend's schedules.  My heart went out to her, and we tried to still make it as special as possible.  I could tell her feelings were a little hurt, but those dissipated when Uncle Mike showed up with Super Soaker water guns for all of my kids.  From that point on she was all smiles.  After the party, Grandmommy and Granddaddy surprised her by taking her (and just her) to see Brave and then for her very own sleepover at their house. 


First Heels!  She practiced all week to be able to walk in them.



My favorite picture of the day.

"On a mission from God." (-Blues Brothers)


Abby with her "little" frying pan. Showing Aunt Leah how it really works!

No comments:

Post a Comment