Saturday, May 7, 2011

Reflection

For several months, I have been working with a Relay for Life Team to raise money for the American Cancer Society, and in recent weeks, I worked with two additional teams to assist them as well, but not until last night did all of the efforts come to life. Last night my mom and I joined a dear friend in her Relay for Life walk at the fairgrounds. I am not sure what I expected, but this night was a night of hope, of remembrance, and a renewal of cause: it was truly beyond anything that I could have ever envisioned and I am so thankful I was able to be apart of it. The fairgrounds were filled with individuals whose lives have been impacted by cancer in one way or another, and who were all from different walks of life; yet on this night, there was complete unison, community, and a sense of family. The most empowering part of the evening for myself was watching the Luminare ceremony. As I stood off in the distance and watched my girlfriend, who is a survivor, and her husband light luminares for parents and family members, I couldn't help but feel complete hope and faith. Hope for my friend, and the many other survivors who have beaten this disease, that they will stay Cancer free; and Faith, for all of those who are fighting the disease, that they will conquer it. I was honored to share these moments, and this night, with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment